Sunday 2 June 2013

Sorbetto Top

No sewing blog is complete without a Sorbetto top from Colette Patterns, which can be downloaded for free from the Colette website http://www.coletterie.com/colette-patterns-news/free-pattern-to-download-the-sorbetto-top

So what all the fuss about, well its free, and with only two pattern pieces how hard can it be?

Do remember to check the 4 inch test square, I had stuck the pages together, cut out the pattern and had it laid out on the fabric before I though I had better check the square, and you guessed it, it was only 3 3/4 inches square.  So back to the printer and this time tick the option for print actual size in properties.

I used a piece of pink and white cotton that I bought from a car boot sale, as I didn't quite have enough fabric, I had to cut the back out with a seam down the middle.

It went together easily, until I tried it on for fit, I really liked the simple design, but it gaped around the arm holes and seemed a bit lower than I had expected it to be around the neckline, I am very short between shoulder and waist, so I  shortened the shoulders and added darts at the armholes to take out the excess fabric, I know this is not the correct way to solve the problem, but it seems to have worked.




What I need is a FBA (full bust alteration) but this is a little advanced for me and I am yet to get my head around it!!

Next I have to tackle the basis binding, which I have not made before, but it will give me chance to try out the little gadget Mr P gave me  for my Birthday.  I am going to make it out of the same fabric as the top.




I was hoping to make the binding and finish the Sorbetto today, but housework and other such exciting things have got in the way!

How for the bias binding first I use the continuous method following the tutorial from using this book (another great Birthday present ). 




or from this tutorial on the Coletterie website

   http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/continuous-bias-tape-tutorial

but being a left hander with right handed scissors my strips were not perfect enough so I tried the strip method, which can also be found on the Colletterie website, so I could use my rotary cutter and mat, this worked much better for me.

Tra la.......... I have made bias binding wow!



2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your top. I'm making one and struggling. I Googled and ended up here on your blog along with many others all with similar problems.
    I've spent two days trying to fathom it out so far!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret
    Thanks for leaving a comment, now I have returned from my holiday I hope to finish this one off, and try again with a few alterations to the pattern, not sure what yet, its such a pretty top I am determined to get it right!

    ReplyDelete